Authors: Marie Claudine Francesca B. Perlas, MD,Elisabeth Ryan, MD, Johannes F. Dayrit, MD, FPDS, Maria Teresita G. Gabriel, MD, FPDS
Introduction: Granuloma annulare(GA) is a benign, inflammatory skin condition characterized by asymptomatic, flesh colored or erythematous papules. The disseminated variant of granuloma annulare is uncommon, usually affecting women older than 40 years.
Case Summary: We report a case of a 52-year-old female, who presented with a 4-year history of skin colored to erythematous papules and annular plaques covering the entire skin surface. Correlation of the clinical presentation, histopathology and dermoscopy findings established the diagnosis of disseminated granuloma annulare. The patient was treated with 25 sessions of narrowband ultraviolet-B (NB-UVB) phototherapy and acitretin 20mg/day for 5 months.
Conclusion: Both histopathology and dermoscopy were noted to be valuable tools in the diagnosis of disseminated GA, as well as in monitoring response to the combined therapy.
Perlas MC, Ryan E, Dayrit J, Gabriel MT. A case of disseminated granuloma annulare successfully treated with acitretin and narrowband UV-B phototherapy. J Phil Dermatol Soc. 2018; 27(2): 94-8.
Granuloma annulare, dermoscopy, acitretin, narrowband UV-B phototherapy
2. Gopal MG, Gupta D, Kumar S, Nandini R. Granuloma annulare mimicking sarcoidosis and treated with acitretin: a case report. J Evol Med Dent Sci. 2013; 2(48): 9297-301.
3. Wang J, Kachemoune A. Granuloma annulare: A focused review of therapeutic options. Am J Clin Dermatol. 2017. doi.org/10.1007/s40257-017-0334-5.
4. Thornsberry LA, English JC 3rd. Etiology, diagnosis, and therapeutic management of granuloma annulare: an update. Am J Clin Dermatol. 2013;14(4):279–90.
5. Cyr PR. Diagnosis and management of granuloma annulare. Am Fam Physician. 2006; 74(10):1729–34.
6. Gunes P, Goktay F, Mansur AT, et al. Collagen-elastic tissue changes and vascular involvement in granuloma annulare: a review of 35 cases. J Cutan Pathol. 2009;36(8):838–44.
7. Erichetti E, Lallas A, Apalla Z, Di Stefani A, Stinco G. Dermoscopy of granuloma annnulare: A clinical and histological correlation study. Dermatology. 2017;233:74-79.
8. Cunningham L, Kirby B, Lally A, Collins P. The efﬁcacy of PUVA and narrowband UVB phototherapy in the management of generalised granuloma annulare. J Dermatolog Treat. 2016;27(2):136–9.
9. Pavlovsky M, Samuelov L, Sprecher E, Matz H. NB-UVB phototherapy for generalized granuloma annulare. Dermatol Ther. 2016;29(3):152–4.
10. Solano-Lopez G, Concha-Garzon MJ, de Argila D, Dauden E. Successful treatment of disseminated granuloma annulare with narrowband UV-B phototherapy. Actas Dermosifiliogr. 2015;106:240-241.
11. Ormerod AD, Campalani E, Goodﬁeld MJ. British association of dermatologists guidelines on the efﬁcacy and use of acitretin in dermatology. Br. J. Dermatol. 2010; 162: 952–63. 12. Bala HR, Khan S, Chong A. Two cases of generalised granuloma annulare successfully treated with acitretin and NB UVB therapy. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2005. doi:10.1016/j/jaad.2005.02.022.
Authors: Katrina Carmela M. Belen, MD, DPDS, Jasmin J.Jamora, MD, FPDS , Ma. Cecilia P. Ingente MD, DPDSAbstractBackground: Dermoscopy, a non-invasive diagnostic tool, has been proven to improve the diagnostic accuracy of vascular tumors since it can aid in...
A randomized, double-blind, comparative study on the safety and efficacy of virgin coconut (Cocos nucifera l.) oil against 1% hydrocortisone lotion as an anti-inflammatory and antipruritic preparation for mosquito reactions
Authors: Uy, Veronica S, MD; Gracia B. Teodosio, MD, FPDS; Ma. Teresita G. Gabriel, MD, FPDS; Mary Catherine T. Galang, MD; Mohammad Yoga A. Waskito, MD; Johannes F. Dayrit, MD, FPDS Abstract Background: Virgin coconut oil (VCO) has been reported...
Primary Cutaneous Anaplastic Large Cell Lymphoma (PC-ALCL) is a rare Non-Hodgkin lymphoma (NHL) representing approximately 9% of all cutaneous lymphomas.3 It usually manifests as a slow-growing, solitary tumor which has a tendency to regress spontaneously. However, metastasis is reported in 5-10% of cases.