Authors: Clarisse G. Mendoza, MD, FPDS, Bryan Edgar K. Guevara, MD, FPDS, Cybill Dianne C. Uy, MD, FPDS
- Immunocompromised patients have a higher risk of developing severe and life-threatening COVID-
19 infection compared to the general population.
- The three Philippine FDA-authorized for emergency use COVID-19 vaccines are all non-live vaccines,
these vaccines may provide benefits for dermatologic patients with immunosuppressed states or who
are taking immunomodulating medications, upon appropriate advice and counseling.
- COVID-19 vaccination should not replace transmission prevention measures–i.e. proper mask
wearing, frequent disinfection, and physical distancing.
1. Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) Pandemic: Numbers at a glance. https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019.
Retrieved 19 April 2021.
2. Ejaz H, Alsrhani A, Zafar A, Javed H, Junaid K. COVID-19 and comorbidities: Deleterious impact on infected patients. J Infect Public Heal journa.
2020;13(January):1833-1839. doi: 10.1016/j.jiph.2020.07.014.
3. List of FDA-issued EUA. https://www.fda.gov.ph/list-of-fda-issued-emergency-use-authorization/. Retrieved 19 April 2021.
4. Schwartz RA, et al. COVID-19 and immunosuppressive therapy in dermatology. Dermatologic Therapy. July 2020;e14140. doi: 10.1111/dth.14140
5. Vaccine Types. https://www.vaccines.gov/basics/types. Retrieved 3 March 2021.
6. Creech CB, Walker SC, Samuels RJ. SARS-CoV-2 Vaccines. JAMA. Published online February 26, 2021. doi:10.1001/jama.2021.3199.
7. Gelfand J, et al. National Psoriasis Foundation COVID-19 Task Force guidance for management of psoriatic disease during the pandemic:
Version 2: Advances in psoriatic disease management, COVID-19 vaccines, and COVID-19 treatments. J Am Acad Dermatol. Published online
February 27, 2021. doi:10.1016/j.jaad.2020.12.058.
8. Park JK, Lee YJ, Shin K, et al. Impact of temporary methotrexate discontinuation for 2 weeks on immunogenicity of seasonal influenza vaccination
in patients with rheumatoid arthritis: a randomised clinical trial. Ann Rheum Dis. 2018;77:898-904. DOI: 10.1136/annrheumdis-2018-213222.
9. Subesinghe S, Bechman K, Rutherford AI, Goldblatt D, Galloway JB. A systematic review and meta-analysis of anti-rheumatic drugs and
vaccine immunogenicity in rheumatoid arthritis. J Rheumatol. 2018;45:733-744. DOI: 10.3899/jrheum.170710.
10. Fiorino G, Peyrin-Biroulet L, Naccarato P, et al. Effects of immunosuppression on immune response to pneumococcal vaccine in inflammatory
bowel disease: a prospective study. Inflamm Bowel Dis. 2012;18:1042-1047. DOI: 10.1002/ibd.21800.
11. Kaine JL, Kivitz AJ, Birbara C, Luo AY. Immune responses following administration of influenza and pneumococcal vaccines to patients with
rheumatoid arthritis receiving adalimumab. J Rheumatol. 2007;34:272-279. PMID: 17304653.
12. Winthrop KL, Silverfield J, Racewicz A, et al. The effect of tofacitinib on pneumococcal and influenza vaccine responses in rheumatoid
arthritis. Ann Rheum Dis. 2016;75:687-695. DOI: 10.1136/annrheumdis-2014-207191.
13. Doornekamp L, Goetgebuer RL, Schmitz KS, et al. High immunogenicity to influenza vaccination in Crohn’s disease patients treated with
ustekinumab. Vaccines (Basel). 2020;8:455. DOI: 10.3390/vaccines8030455.
14. Furer V, Zisman D, Kaufman I, et al. Immunogenicity and safety of vaccination against seasonal influenza vaccine in patients with psoriatic
arthritis treated with secukinumab. Vaccine. 2020;38:847-851. DOI: 10.1016/j.vaccine.2019.10.081.
15. Richi P, Martın MD, de Ory F, et al. Secukinumab does not impair the immunogenic response to the influenza vaccine in patients. RMD Open.
2019;5:e001018. DOI: 10.1136/rmdopen-2019-001018.
16. Gomez EV, Bishop JL, Jackson K, Muram TM, Phillips D. Response to tetanus and pneumococcal vaccination following administration of
ixekizumab in healthy participants. BioDrugs. 2017;31:545-554.
17. Chiricozzi, A., Gisondi, P., Bellinato, F., and Girolomoni, G. Immune Response to Vaccination in Patients with Psoriasis Treated with Systemic
Therapies. Vaccines 2020, 8, 769. doi: 10.3390/vaccines8040769.
18. ACR COVID-19 Task Force. COVID-19 Vaccine Clinical Guidance Summary for Patients with Rheumatic and Musculoskeletal Diseases. https://
www.rheumatology.org/About-Us/Newsroom/Press-Releases/ID/1138. Retrieved 5 March 2021.
19. European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology COVID-19 Task Force. Guidance for Autoimmune Blistering Diseases during the COVID-19
pandemic. Updated 14 Jan 2021. https://eadv.org/covid-19/task-force. Retrieved 2 March 2021.
20. American Academy of Dermatology COVID-19 Vaccine administration guidance. https://www.aad.org/member/practice/coronavirus/
vaccines. Retrieved 2 March 2021.
21. de Leon JC, et al. PSAAI Guidelines on the Prevention, Diagnosis and Management of Immediate Severe Allergic Reactions to COVID-19
Vaccines. Published 9 February 2021. Retrieved 3 March 2021.
22. Allergy, Immunodeficiency, Autoimmunity and COVID-19 Vaccination Position Statement given by the ASCIA 2 March 2021. Retrieved 2 March
23. Thyssen JP, et al. European Task Force on Atopic Dermatitis (ETFAD): position on vaccination of adult patients with atopic dermatitis against
COVID-19 (SARS-CoV-2) being treated with systemic medication and biologics. http://eprints.whiterose.ac.uk/171529/
Syringocystadenoma papilliferum arising from a nevus sebaceus mimicking squamous cell carcinoma in a Filipino female: A case report
Authors: Maria Kristina R. Fajardo, MD, Daisy King-Ismael, MD, FPDS,Bernardita O. Policarpio, MD, FPDSAbstract INTRODUCTION :Syringocystadenoma papilliferum (SCAP) is a relatively rare benign adnexal skin tumor which can manifest in a variety of clinical forms. Nearly...
Drug-induced chronic bullous disease of childhood in a two-year-old Filipino male triggered by cefaclor or cefuroxime: A case report
Authors: Sher Claranza O. Liquido, MD, Maria Jasmin J. Jamora, MD, FPDSAbstract Introduction: N Chronic bullous disease of childhood (CBDC) is a rare immune-mediated subepidermal vesiculobullous eruption, characterized by linear IgA deposition along the basement...
Authors: Ma. Corazon A. Iniego-Rodas, MD, DPDS, Maria Franchesca Quinio, MD, FPDS, DDSP-PDS, Charlene Ang-Tiu, MD, FPDSAbstract INTRODUCTION : Lupus panniculitis (LP) is an unusual type of cutaneous lupus erythematosus (CLE) wherein the cutaneous inflammatory reaction...