Authors: Janice Natasha C. Ng, MD, Maricarr Pamela M. Lacuesta, MD, FPDS and Mary Jo Kristine S. Bunagan, MD, FPDS
Syringoma is a common benign intraepidermal tumor affecting 0.6% of the general population and is more frequent among women at 75-90%. Lesions appear as multiple, skin colored to slightly yellowish firm papules in a bilateral symmetrical distribution. It is commonly located in the lower eyelids, however the scalp, axillae, abdomen, forehead, penis, and vulva can often be affected. Syringomas located over the forearms are unusual and rarely reported.
We present a case of a 51-year old Filipino female with a six-year history of multiple, asymptomatic macules and papules on the extensors of both forearms. Skin punch biopsy was consistent with syringoma. Immunohistochemistry was positive for carcinoembryonic antigen (CEA) and negative for epithelial membrane antigen (EMA) further confirming our diagnosis of syringoma.
Eruptive syringoma, a generalized variant, presents as multiple, yellow to brown colored firm papules in a symmetric distribution usually found on the anterior chest, neck, upper abdomen, axillae and periumbilical region. This clinical presentation may be mistaken for other diagnoses such as lichen planus, papular eczema, sarcoidosis, adnexal tumor, eruptive xanthoma, steatocystoma and milia. Syringoma occurring at unusual sites has a wide range of differentials and a definite diagnosis can be established by histopathologic examination.
Ng, J. Lacuesta, MP & Bunagan, MJ. (2017). Eruptive syringoma presenting clinically as veruca plana in a 51-year-old Filipino female: a case report. Journal of the Philippine Dermatological Society, 26(2), 84-85.
eruptive syringoma, forearms, immunohistochemistry, carcinoembryonic antigen
- Hassan S, Rizvi N, Bhengra MP, Chaudhary SS. Generalized eruptive syringoma. J Pakistan Assoc Dermatol. 2012 Apr 1; 22:153-156.
- Ghanadan A, Khosravi M. Cutaneous syringoma: a clinicopathologic study of 34 new cases and review of the literature. Indian Journal of Dermatology. 2013 Jul; 58(4):326.
- Seirafi HH, Akhyani M, Naraghi ZS, Mansoori P, Dehkordi HS, Taheri A, et al. Eruptive syringomas. Dermatology Online Journal. 2005 Jan 1; 11(2).
- Srivastava D, Stan Taylor R. Appendage Tumors and Hamartomas of the Skin. In: Goldsmith L, Katz S, editors. Fitzpatrick’s Dermatology in General Medicine. 8th ed. 2008. New York: McGraw-Hill; 2012:1348-1349.
- Verma SB. An unusual case of eruptive syringomas presenting as itchy symmetrical lesions on both forearms in a patient of hyperkeratotic eczema. Indian Dermatol Online J. 2011 Jul; 2(2):104-106.
- Teixeira M, Ferreira M, Machado S, Alves R, Selores M. Eruptive syringomas. Dermatology online journal. 2005 Jan 1; 11(3).
- Williams K, Shinkai K. Evaluation and management of the patient with multiple syringomas: a systematic review of the literature. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2016; 74(6):1234-40.
- Philippine Dermatologic Society Health Information Systems [data file]. Philippine Dermatological Society. 2011 [updated 2017 Aug 19; cited 2017 Aug 24].
- Ramyead S, Pozo-Garcia L. An Unusual Case: Intensely Pruritic Eruptive Syringoma. SM J Case Rep. 2015; 1(3):1015.
- Jamalipour M, Heidarpour M, Rajabi P. Generalized eruptive syringomas. Indian J Dermatol. 2009 Jan-Mar; 54(1): 65-67.
- Kim BC, Park EJ, Kwon IH, Cho HJ, Park HR, Kim KH, et al. An immunohistochemical study of the origin of the solid strand in syringoma, using carcinoembryonic antigen, epithelial membrane antigen, and cytokeratin 5. International Journal of Dermatology. 2012 Jul 1; 51(7):817-22.
- Vekić MM, Bukvić MZ, Lakoš JI, Radoš J. Eruptive Syringoma in the Elderly: A Case Report. Acta dermatovenerologica Croatica: ADC. 2015 Dec; 23(4):289-292.
- Gómez MI, Pérez B, Azana JM, Nunez M, Ledo A. Eruptive syringoma: treatment with topical tretinoin. Dermatology. 1994 Jul 1; 189(1):105-6.
Authors: Katrina Carmela M. Belen, MD, DPDS, Jasmin J.Jamora, MD, FPDS , Ma. Cecilia P. Ingente MD, DPDSAbstractBackground: Dermoscopy, a non-invasive diagnostic tool, has been proven to improve the diagnostic accuracy of vascular tumors since it can aid in...
A randomized, double-blind, comparative study on the safety and efficacy of virgin coconut (Cocos nucifera l.) oil against 1% hydrocortisone lotion as an anti-inflammatory and antipruritic preparation for mosquito reactions
Authors: Uy, Veronica S, MD; Gracia B. Teodosio, MD, FPDS; Ma. Teresita G. Gabriel, MD, FPDS; Mary Catherine T. Galang, MD; Mohammad Yoga A. Waskito, MD; Johannes F. Dayrit, MD, FPDS Abstract Background: Virgin coconut oil (VCO) has been reported...
Primary Cutaneous Anaplastic Large Cell Lymphoma (PC-ALCL) is a rare Non-Hodgkin lymphoma (NHL) representing approximately 9% of all cutaneous lymphomas.3 It usually manifests as a slow-growing, solitary tumor which has a tendency to regress spontaneously. However, metastasis is reported in 5-10% of cases.