Let’s Hear From a Colleague

A brief communication or commentary, which may focus on early data from a trial, opinions or commentaries written as a response to previously published articles within the JPDS.


Cutaneous manifestations in SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) infection: A review of clinical, histopathologic features, and management

Terese Monette O. Aquino, MD, DPDS, DDSP-PDS, Fendi EJ R. Bautista, MD, Patricia Angelica Pastrana-Mabanta, MD, MBA, DPDS

Numerous studies have demonstrated various information about COVID-19 infection. With this, the authors intend to abridge, present, and synthesize current available information, focusing on the cutaneous manifestations of COVID-19 infection, to help guide dermatologists in understanding the dermatologic aspect of this disease.

The practical diagnostic approach for hereditary epidermolysis bullosa in the era of next generation sequencing

The practical diagnostic approach for hereditary epidermolysis bullosa in the era of next generation sequencing

Bryan Edgar K. Guevara MD, Wei-Ting Tu MD, Ping-Chen Hou, Hsin-Yu Huang MD, Jessica Chen MD, Chao-Kai Hsu MD
  Authors: Bryan Edgar K. Guevara MD, Wei-Ting Tu MD, Ping-Chen Hou, Hsin-Yu Huang MD, Jessica Chen MD, Chao-Kai Hsu MD   Abstract & CitationReferences   Abstract The new era of molecular diagnostics has provided new insights in both routine clinical...

Melasma in brown skin: part 2

Maria Juliet E. Macarayo, MD, FPDS and Evangeline B. Handog, MD, FPDS

The first part of this series has touched on the relevance of melasma in the brown skin populace, from the definition, epidemiology, clinical patterns, etiopathogenesis to diagnosis and clinical assessment. This second part aims to optimize medical management of melasma, with emphasis on the topical and oral options available for people of brown skin.

Updates on Sexually Transmitted Infections in the Philippines

Vista, Emmerson Gale, MD, FPDS, DPSV

Sexually transmitted infections (STIs) remain a public health problem worldwide. Hence in 2011, the Philippine Dermatological Society (PDS) started to take the initiative to document STI cases in all its institutions.
One major barrier to STI prevention and control is the stigma associated with STIs. STI counselling in primary care can help encourage patients to undergo STI testing, treatment and partner referral. HIV
In 2017, the Philippines has registered the fastest-growing HIV/AIDS epidemic in the Asia-Pacific.

Photoprotection: Review and updates

Pearl Weena Marie E. Sabido, MD, FPDS

The sun emits electromagnetic radiation, of which the portions of concern to us are ultraviolet radiation (UVR, 200-400nm), visible light (400-700nm), and infrared (700nm-1mm). UVR is broken down into UVC (200-290nm), which is largely filtered out by the ozone layer and does not reach the earth’s surface; UVB (290-320nm); and UVA, which is further broken down into UVA II (320-340nm) and UVA I, or long-wave UVA (340-400nm) (Fig. 1). UVA, which comprises 95 percent of UVR that reaches the earth, is relatively stable throughout the day. Being longer than UVB, it penetrates deeper into the skin, down to the deep dermis. On the other hand, UVB makes up the remaining 5 percent of UVR that reaches the earth’s surface, and its strength peaks between 10am and 2pm. It has a shorter penetration into the skin, generally reaching down to the basal layer, or at best to the upper dermis.