(Last Updated On: December 13, 2018)

Authors: Mark Gerald R. Serrano, MD, Lillian Lopez – Villafuerte, MD, FPDS, Melanie Joy Doria – Ruiz, MD, DPDS

Abstract

Introduction/background: Allergic contact dermatitis (ACD) is known to impair quality of life (QoL). Thus, appropriate allergen identification and avoidance are vital to its management.

Objectives: To evaluate the impact of allergen avoidance on the quality of life among patch test positive patients with ACD.

Methods: Thirty-three ACD patch test positive patients participated the study. Demographic information was noted. After six weeks, a questionnaire was given to evaluate compliance with allergen avoidance and perception on severity of ACD before and after patch test. Dermatology Life Quality Index (DLQI) measured QoL on both occasions.

Results: Mean total DLQI score at baseline significantly improved six weeks post-patch test from 13.5 to 3.8. Most patients (94.0%) always complied on allergen avoidance after patch test. The remaining 6.0% who often complied reasoned that allergens were part of their daily activities. Perception on their skin condition changed significantly from worse to controlled or no symptoms. Improvement on allergen avoidance was significantly associated with improvement on DLQI score and perception on skin condition (p-value=0.0031).

Conclusions: Allergen avoidance had a significant impact on the improvement of QoL among patch test positive patients. Patch test was an effective tool in the improvement of adherence on allergen avoidance. This translated to an improved perception of skin condition and QoL.

 

Citation

 

Keywords

Allergic, ACD, QOL

More Articles

A randomized, double-blind, comparative study on the safety and efficacy of virgin coconut (Cocos nucifera l.) oil against 1% hydrocortisone lotion as an anti-inflammatory and antipruritic preparation for mosquito reactions

  Authors: Uy, Veronica S, MD; Gracia B. Teodosio, MD, FPDS; Ma. Teresita G. Gabriel, MD, FPDS; Mary Catherine T. Galang, MD; Mohammad Yoga A. Waskito, MD; Johannes F. Dayrit, MD, FPDS     Abstract Background: Virgin coconut oil (VCO) has been reported...

read more