Authors: Catherina Jessica Sutantoyo, MD, Johannes F. Dayrit, MD, FPDS, Ma. Teresita G. Gabriel, MD, FPDS Glen Purnomo, MD, Reynaldo L. Ugalde MD, FPDS
We report a case of eumycetoma in a Filipino patient who presented with a solitary reddish brown, moist, multinodular tumor on the
dorsum of the left foot of 2 years duration. Biopsy with Periodic acid Schiff (PAS) & Gomori methenamine silver (GMS) staining, fungal
culture, ultrasound and X-ray of the foot were done in our institution which confirmed the diagnosis of eumycetoma. The patient was
successfully treated with itraconazole 400/day for 3 months, followed by 200mg/day for the succeeding 9 months, leading to complete
resolution of the lesion leaving an atrophic hypopigmented scar. A high index of suspicion supported by diagnostic tests aided in the
early detection of the disease which also resulted to complete resolution of the disease.
Sutantoyo C, Dayrit J, Gabriel MT, Purnomo G, Ugalde R. Mistaken identity: eumycetoma masquerading as squamous cell carcinoma. J Phil Dermatol Soc. 2018; 27(1): 81-3.
Mycetoma, fungal infections, itraconazole
1. Afroz N, Khan N, Siddiqui FA, Rizvi M. Eumycetoma versus actinomycetoma: Diagnosis on cytology. J Cytol.2010 Oct;27(4):133-135
2. Fahal A, Mahgoub ES, Hassan AME, Abdel-Rahman ME (2015) Mycetoma in the Sudan: An Update from the Mycetoma Research Centre, University of Khartoum, Sudan. PLoS Negl Trop Dis 9(3): e0003679. doi:10.1371/journal.pntd.0003679
3. Sen A, Pillay RS. Case report: Dot-in-circle sign – An MRI and USG sign for “Madura foot”.Indian J Radiol Imaging 2011;21:264-6
4. Rana S, Kalhan S, Hasija S, Sharma P, Garg S. The Madura Foot: A Case of Eumycotic Mycetoma on Histopathology. Sch. J. App. Med. Sci., 2015; 3(2B):658-661
5. Hay RJ. Deep fungal infection. In: Fitzpatrick’s Dermatology in General Dermatology 8th edition. Goldsmith LA, Katz SI, Gilchrest BA, Paller AS, Leffell DJ, Wolff K editors. McGraw-Hill;2012.p23125
6. Wankhade AB, Ghadage DP, Mali RJ, Bhore AV. Mycetoma foot due to Madurella mycetomatis. Ann Trop Med Public Health 2012;5:352-4
7. Resnik BI, Burdick AE. Improvement of eumycetoma with itraconazole. J Am Acad Dermatol 1995; 33:917-9
8. Mohammad N, Arif C, Ruksana P, Rokon U, Abdur R, Moydul H; The Madura foot. A Case Report. N Dermatol Online, 2011; 2(2): 70-73.
9. Abraham BJ, Deepa KM. An unusual presentation of eumycetoma mimicking soft tissue sarcoma of the foot. Kerala Journal of Orthopaedics. Vol 26. Issue 2. July 2013
Authors: Katrina Carmela M. Belen, MD, DPDS, Jasmin J.Jamora, MD, FPDS , Ma. Cecilia P. Ingente MD, DPDSAbstractBackground: Dermoscopy, a non-invasive diagnostic tool, has been proven to improve the diagnostic accuracy of vascular tumors since it can aid in...
A randomized, double-blind, comparative study on the safety and efficacy of virgin coconut (Cocos nucifera l.) oil against 1% hydrocortisone lotion as an anti-inflammatory and antipruritic preparation for mosquito reactions
Authors: Uy, Veronica S, MD; Gracia B. Teodosio, MD, FPDS; Ma. Teresita G. Gabriel, MD, FPDS; Mary Catherine T. Galang, MD; Mohammad Yoga A. Waskito, MD; Johannes F. Dayrit, MD, FPDS Abstract Background: Virgin coconut oil (VCO) has been reported...
Primary Cutaneous Anaplastic Large Cell Lymphoma (PC-ALCL) is a rare Non-Hodgkin lymphoma (NHL) representing approximately 9% of all cutaneous lymphomas.3 It usually manifests as a slow-growing, solitary tumor which has a tendency to regress spontaneously. However, metastasis is reported in 5-10% of cases.