Authors: Lunardi Bintanjoyo, MD;Johannes F. Dayrit, MD, FPDS;Ma. Teresita G. Gabriel, MD, FPDS and Ciara Mae H. Dela Cruz, MD
Telangiectatic macularis eruptiva perstans (TMEP) is the rarest type of cutaneous mastocytosis (CM). It presents on the trunk and upper limbs as telangiectatic macules and patches due to concentrated mast cells degranulation which are identified as reticular vascular pattern in dermoscopy. Histopathologically, they correlate with dilated capillaries and venules of the dermal superficial plexus surrounded by increased mast cells’ numbers. Giemsa and immunohistochemical stain CD117 highlight mast cells when the routine histopathology shows mild changes. Management of CM, aiming to avoid and treat symptoms of mast cell mediator release, includes systemic anthistamines as first line agents. We report a case of a 52-year-old Indian man with clinical, dermoscopic, histopathologic and immunohistochemical findings of TMEP in which intensity of erythema decreased after one month of treatment with Ketotifen 2 mg once every evening and Bilastine 20 mg once every morning.
Bintanjoyo, L, Dela Cruz, CM, Dayrit, J & Gabriel, MT. (2017). Telangiectasia macularis eruptiva perstans in an Indian man: Correlation between clinical, dermoscopic, histopathological, and immunohistochemical findings. Journal of the Philippine Dermatological Society, 26(1), 88-90.
Telangiectatic macularis eruptive perstans, dermoscopy, Giemsa, CD117, antihistamines
- Amon U, Hartmann K, Horny HP, Nowak A. Mastocytosis – an update. J Dtsch Dermatol Ges. 2010;8:695-712
- De Cerquiera, Feldman CA, Kanaan I, Daza JRB. Telangiectasia macularis eruptive perstans. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2011 Feb. p.AB137.
- Unterstell N, Lavorato FG, Nery NS, Mann D, Alves M de FSG, Barcauí C. Dermatoscopic findings in telangiectasia macularis eruptiva perstans. An Bras Dermatol. 2013;88(4):643-5. doi:10.1590/abd1806-4841.20132053.
- Tharp MD. Mastocytosis In: Bolognia JL, Jorrizo JL, Schaffer JV, editors. Dermatology. 3rd ed. China:Elsevier Saunders; 2012;2. p.1993-2002.
- Sotiriou E1, Apalla Z, Ioannides D. Telangiectasia macularis eruptive perstans successfully treated with PUVA therapy. Photodermatol Photoimmunol Photomed. 2010;26(1):46-7. doi:10.1111/j.1600-0781.2009.00480.x.
- Severino M, Chandesris MO, Barete S, Tournier E, Sans B, Laurent C, et.al. Telangiectasia macularis eruptiva perstans (TMEP): a form of cutaneous mastocytosis with potential systemic involvement. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2015;74:885-91
- Lee HW, Jeong YI, Choi JC, Lee MW, Choi JH, Moon KC, et.al. Two cases of telangiectasia macularis eruptiva perstans demonstrated by immunohistochemistry for c-kit (CD 117). J Dermatol. 2005;32:817–20
- Lanternier F, Cohen-Akenine A, Palmerini F, Feger F, Yang Y, Zermati Y, et.al. Phenotypic and genotypic characteristics of mastocytosis according to the age of onset. PLoS ONE. 2008 Apr;3(4):e1906. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0001906.
- Philippine Dermatological Society Health Information Systems. Philippine Dermatological Society. c2011 [updated May 12, 2016; cited September 8, 2016]. Available by request from: email@example.com]
- Miettinen M, Lasota J. KIT (CD117): a review on expression in normal and neoplastic tissues, and mutations and their clinicopathologic correlation. Appl Immunohistochem Mol Morphol. 2005;13:205-20.
- Arber DA, Tamayo R, Weiss LM. Paraffin section detection of c-kit gene product (CD117) in human tissues: value in the diagnosis of mast cell disorders. Hum Pathol. 1998;28:498-504
- Bachmeyer C, Guillemette J, Blum L, Turc Y, Dhote L, Fermand JP, et.al. Telangiectatic macularis eruptiva perstans and multiple myeloma. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2000;43:972-4.
- Nguyen, Nathalie Q MD. (2004). Telangiectasia macularis eruptiva perstans. Dermatol Online J [Internet]. 2004 [cited 2015 Oct 01];10(3):. Available from: http://escholarship.org/uc/item/0gp977bv
- Watkins CE, Bokor WB, Leicht S, Youngberg G, Khrisnaswamy G. Telangiectasia macularis eruptive perstans: more than skin deep. Dermatol reports. 2011;3:e12
- Sev’er A, Sibbald RG, Arville CD. Thousand faces of mastocytosis: mistaken medical diagnosis, patient suffering and gender implications. In Sev’er A, Sibbald RG, Arville CD. Mastocytosis & gender implications [Internet]. University of Toronto Press. 2009 [cited 2015 Oct 1]. p. 84-112. Available from: http://mastocytosis.ca/MSC%20Research%20Paper%202009.pdf
- Weedon D. Weedon’s Skin Pathology, 3rd China:Churchill Livingstone Elsevier. 2010;40:948-50
- Hartmann K, Escribano L, Grattan C, Brockow K, Carter MC, Alvarez-Twose I. Cutaneous manifestations in patients with mastocytosis: consensus report of the European Competence Network on Mastocytosis; the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology; and the European Academy of Allergology and Clinical Immunology. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2016;137:35-45
- Xu X, Pan Y, Wang L, Li G, Liao D; Department of Pathology, West China Hospital, Sichuan University, Chengdu 610041, China. Cutaneous mastocytosis: a clinicopathological analysis of 15 cases. Journal of Clinical Dermatology [Internet]. 2008 [cited 2015 Oct 05];10. Available from: http://en.cnki.com.cn/Article_en/CJFDTotal-LCPF200810012.htm
- Kirsten N, Tournier E, Lepage B, Lamant L, Hermine O, Paul C, et.al. Immunohistochemical staining for diagnosis of cutaneous mastocytosis. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol. Accepted Author Manuscript. doi:10.1111/jdv.13946
- Tharp MD. Mastocytosis. In: Goldsmith LA, Katz SI, Gilchrest BA, Paller AS, Leffell DJ, Wolff K, editors. Fitzpatrick’s Dermatology in General Medicine. 8th ed. New York:McGraw-Hill;2012;2. p.1809-1818.
- Scaglione F. Safety profile of Bilastine: 2nd generation h1 antihistamines. Eur Rev Med Pharmacol Sci. 2012;16:1999-2005
- Metin MS, Elmas OF, Kizilyel O, Gundogdu B, Akdeniz N. Telengiectasia macularis eruptiva perstans: a case report. J Turgut Ozal Med Cent. 2014;21(3):229-32
- Ellis DL. Treatment of telangiectasia macularis eruptiva perstans with the 585-nm flashlamp-pumped dye laser. Dermatol Surg. 1996;22(1):33-7
Authors: Katrina Carmela M. Belen, MD, DPDS, Jasmin J.Jamora, MD, FPDS , Ma. Cecilia P. Ingente MD, DPDSAbstractBackground: Dermoscopy, a non-invasive diagnostic tool, has been proven to improve the diagnostic accuracy of vascular tumors since it can aid in...
A randomized, double-blind, comparative study on the safety and efficacy of virgin coconut (Cocos nucifera l.) oil against 1% hydrocortisone lotion as an anti-inflammatory and antipruritic preparation for mosquito reactions
Authors: Uy, Veronica S, MD; Gracia B. Teodosio, MD, FPDS; Ma. Teresita G. Gabriel, MD, FPDS; Mary Catherine T. Galang, MD; Mohammad Yoga A. Waskito, MD; Johannes F. Dayrit, MD, FPDS Abstract Background: Virgin coconut oil (VCO) has been reported...
Primary Cutaneous Anaplastic Large Cell Lymphoma (PC-ALCL) is a rare Non-Hodgkin lymphoma (NHL) representing approximately 9% of all cutaneous lymphomas.3 It usually manifests as a slow-growing, solitary tumor which has a tendency to regress spontaneously. However, metastasis is reported in 5-10% of cases.